Explore forest gardening in depth and learn the tools and methods to help you succeed.
Description: In this class, we focus on the plants, relationships and design of forest gardens. Topics will include:
- Polyculture or Guild design at the backyard and small farm scale
- Forest garden soil management
- Nitrogen-fixing plants
- Forest garden site analysis
- Forest garden establishment and maintenance techniques
- Forest garden insectaries and pest management
- Growing and tasting of seasonal forest garden fruit, nuts, herbs, greens, mushrooms and more
- Community strategy and impact of forest gardens
The day includes tours of the forest garden, design materials and exercises, coaching sessions, discussions and networking. Our singular goal is to help our students succeed in their forest garden projects.
Lead Instructor: Lincoln Smith
Location: Forested in Bowie, MD. Be sure to read how to get into the site here. Google Maps by itself will not get you here.
Qualifications: Participants should feel comfortable being outside in any weather. Participants under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult. Sturdy footwear is required as well as appropriate outdoor clothing. Please bring a pair of work gloves if you have them.
Food: Snacks and drinks will be provided, but please bring lunch.
Registration: Pay below or email Lincoln to let us know you're coming.
Registration closes 24 hours before class time.
Work Trade: We accept the $100 class fee, 10 hours of volunteer work, or any combination of the two. Payment is prefered to help us continue to develop the forest garden. Email Lincoln to inquire about a work trade.
Groups: Bring friends and save! Select a number below for group discount price. Email Lincoln if you'd like to bring more than 4 people.